Ok, once you stop laughing, hear me out. Although knitting is associated with calmness, meditative repetition, low blood pressure (then why am I on medication???) blah, blah, blah, it can also give you a rush. Sometimes it’s like mountain climbers pushing for the summit, the thrill of making it up there. But without that subsequent realization of f$&@, I have get back down alive. (Although the thought of seaming or weaving in ends does elicit the same reaction in some people.) Plus I get to feel pumped in the comfort of my warm house, probably on my couch with a glass of wine and not clinging to a crumbling glacier in a snowstorm. Really, who is crazy here?
Anyway, I’m talking about knitting something that comes out EXACTLY as you envisioned it. This is the case with my last three projects. My hand-dyed sweater that I showed in the previous post, my just finished hap and a baby blanket. Two of these projects were finished in record time because I just couldn’t put them down (the baby blanket not so much, but I rallied at the end).
Here is my hap
, folded in half and keeping me toasty warm.
I spun all the yarn for this, in about a week. The gradient border is mostly some Shetland yarn from southern Ontario, Hopeful Shetlands
, the moorit middle is British Shetland I bought from the Fibre Garden
, the darker midsection is some US Romney I spun up about 3 years ago, and the deep chocolate brown is some unidentified wool I bought in Almonte from Fortune Hill Farm
. The pattern is Gudrun’s Hansel (and I knit it in about 4 days!) And it turned out exactly how I planned and even blocked out perfectly. I was a bit meh about all that brown at first, feeling very 70’s, was worried I might be tempted to go out and get new appliances in Avocado and add a burnt orange shag rug, but I controlled myself, and I quite like the natural shading.
I used almost all my yarn. I weighed the moorit that I used for the centre because I knew I wouldn’t have enough. At a bit less than the halfway mark, I switched to the romney, and then ended with the rest of the moorit. This is what I had left at the end of the centre square:
This just goes to show you that a digital kitchen scale is your friend (while a bathroom scale is NOT). Get one for knitting, if you don’t have one already (throw the bathroom one out). Here it is in all its brown squarish glory:
I should have added more stitches when picking up for the lace border since that yarn was a bit thinner than the rest but blocking fixed that. Remember, blocking can fix just about anything, well maybe not a broken washing machine or marriage, but pretty well anything else.
This project and my sweater were especially thrilling to finish. I was just so darned happy with the result, hence my little (compared to the above-mentioned mountain climbers, but what do they know) shot of adrenaline.
And it is not just about making things for myself, I do get a thrill from making things for others. (Hopefully they will be just as thrilled to receive it, otherwise you might see me on season 2 of Making a Murderer, just saying). So speaking of making things for others (no worries, lucky recipient, haha), although it was a slog, so many steps… I’m very happy with the result. Another Sleepy Monkey Blanket
, (notice my hap photobombing):
I sewed on a flannel backing (enough knitting already!) I used Cascade Cherub (machine washable and dryable – acrylic/nylon – I know, stop gagging). Not sure how it will hold up, it seems rather loosely spun. Fingers crossed. I knit it in the round, sewed it 3 times on each side of the steek and cut it! And it’s fine! I made one a couple of years ago for my daughter in Berroco Comfort DK (also acrylic/nylon – stop gagging) and it has held up just fine. I only knit in machine washable/dryable yarns for babies, unless I know the mother is as anal retentive as I am, because I KNOW it will end up in the washing machine and the dryer along with all the other puked upon blankets and jammies.
Kathryn was also pretty relieved to finish this project, more relief than adrenaline, I think. It is Solaris
, made mostly with our Riverside Studio merino fingering singles.
It was a long and not terribly exciting knit, she tells me, but I think it turned out quite beautifully!
I am working on Secret Garden
, in one of our new colours, Wicked (which I have utterly failed to capture here). I really like the pattern, but am adding an i-cord-like border along the garter edge. Looks much neater and won’t over stretch.
It was quite an ordeal getting this yarn into cakes (Merino/cashmere/nylon sock, BTW). They were oversized leftover skeins with knots and I managed to make this unholy mess of it (maybe that was my inner-kitten coming out):
Well that’s it for now, it’s my shift to shovel snow. I’ll leave you with Frankie looking like a sugar donut. He quite likes cold weather and snow, if only I could teach him to shovel…